Story time. I don't know if it is a tradition or more of a routine but the box of Christmas books came out and every night is holiday story time. (Not just every day story time.) Jara has over half of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas memorized. Elise is even enjoying story time, mostly she is enjoying pulling Jed's arm hairs. Can you see that? She's sneaky.
Gingerbread house constructing. Lots of work, lots of candy, lots of crazy. I had to restrain myself from making patterns and creating symmetrical designs but overall they didn't do too bad. We looked at some pictures online for ideas and they came up with everything on their own. Jara was quite crafty. Jack consumed more than he produced, that boy loves his sugar. The next day I found him standing on his tip-toes licking the gumdrops on the roof. Jed deemed this normal and informed me if it would have been his childhood gingerbread house he would have ate it "walls and all" in the middle of the night. After making our little house and cleaning up the rubble this was the family conversation:
Joshlyn: Whew maybe this can be an every-other year tradition.
Jed: Oh come on it was fun.
Jara: Making gingerbread houses gives me a warm feeling in my heart. (Where does she get this warm fuzziness from?)
Jack: boing, boing, boing Me soooo happy. (That kid was like a rat on crack for a couple of hours.) Elise: raahhhh achhhh I'm not sure how to type in Elise language but the meaning is clear: I'm sick of chillin' in this bouncy chair, pay attention to ME!
Trimming the tree, the weekend after Thanksgiving. I love having a Christmas tree up, my house feels so warm and cozy. My decorating is sparse every other season of the year so it is nice to feel decorated and homey during the most wonderful time of the year, (insert Bing Crosby crooning.)
Jara with her special ornament from last year. Every year the kid's get their own ornament. We are amassing quite the collection. Everything from "Hot Wheels" cars to the nativity.
My tree has a color scheme. I told Jed we ought to scrap it and start over this year but we have too many beautiful things to start over. AND I am particularly fond of a few tacky items that come together to form a beautiful whole.
1 comment:
These seem like beautiful traditions. I love seeing how families develop their own. We are in the process of doing that for our little family.
By the way, your children are just lovely. I sent a package to your dad with goodies for the kids. Check with him.
And thank you for the nice comment on the Buttons posting and also for allowing me to use the photo. I really appreciate it.
Post a Comment