Waking up to the roar of semi's IS refreshing.
The smell of diesel in the morning IS a nostalgic reminder of scrubbing Jed's road crew stained jeans. I SO miss those days when I used to buy Spray N' Wash in bulk at Costco.
It IS lonely when there isn't a constant roar of machinery outside of your house, 3 children just don't feel up all the sound space of my non-carpeted house.
Beep Beep Beep IS a good alarm clock when you need to wake up at 6:00 with three little children who normally are so lazy they sleep in until 8:00 ish.
I am a believer in road construction. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Jed's career, major and business all benefit from this necessary evil. However, I prefer my road construction at a nice tolerable distance-as in Las Vegas. This little number is in my front yard. Currently parked on all road facing sides of my house (two) there is/are 2 excavators, 2 backhoes, 1 dump truck, 2 double trailer semi-trucks, 1 water truck, 2 loaders, a fork-lifty looking thing and the flagger's personal truck.
Let me describe these machines to you, in case your husband does not work construction or you do not have the Usborne Machinery Book for Children at your house.
Excavator-Giant, Giant machine that's bucket is as big as me and runs on earth jarring tracks, sounds similar to the smoke monster (my nemesis) on LOST
Backhoe-just your run-of-the-mill piece of equipment you see digging trenches, nothing too alarming
Dump truck, semi-trucks and water trucks-nothing special, except the fact that they NEVER turn off, never, ever, ever. Apparently it would be too hard to turn that key back on. Agonizing. Okay, okay I know then the worker would have to sit in his truck without his a/c on and okay, okay I know there is some business about these trucks needing time to idle before moving but the constant drone is what's killin' me.
Loaders-NOISY, NOISY beeping machines. (literally beeping, not to be confused with the bleepity bleep words I utter in the morning.)
Moving on...
Do you know how much equipment that is?! I'm guessing there is at least a hundred dollars worth of diesel being burned every MINUTE!!! Okay those numbers may be slightly skewed (spell?) but it feels AND smells like it. The picture does not do it justice. I could only sneakily snap one quick picture out my door because I was directly in excavator-operator-dude's line of vision. That's all I need, the flash of my camera to blind him and land a giant excavator in my lap. Plus I feel like a total law-suit liability, creepy, desperate housewife when I snap pictures of people that are not related to me.
Okay I am going to go put on my headphones and hide in the closet for awhile. I may start developing adaptations of underground creatures. Wish me luck.
3 comments:
I think it's great that this post although sarcastic... was trying to take a positive spin. I am seriously not into noise. I am amazed when Tony and I stay at married housing on campus with Yvette and Jordan... or in a city with family... and it's more quiet than at my rural home in Moapa. Go figure. I look forward to quiet... one day.
ToOdLeS.
We did already discuss our mole like tendencies come summer time. If you moved underground your that much closer to our goal!!
Just one question...how do you have 3 kids and still not buy Spray n Wash in bulk at Costco?!
Post a Comment