Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Ode to the Muddy

This year the Logandale, NV stake has been celebrating its 100th birthday.

Most of my life events have taken place in one chapel or another in the valley.
Blessed in the Overton chapel.
Baptized in the old Logandale chapel.
Seminary graduation in the Stake Center
Wedding reception in the Hinkley chapel
Baby blessings in the old Logandale and Moapa chapels

I remember 4 bishops growing up in the Overton 3rd ward: Bishop Bonham, Bishop Staton, Bishop Robison, and Bishop Dalley.  Interviews with Bishop Robison were awesome, we recounted the family tree, did a little genealogy and talked about honoring our forefathers.  

I have worshipped in every building in the valley.  Overton chapel I grew up in.  The stake center housed my Singles branch and newlywed Logandale 4th ward years.  The beautiful old Logandale chapel was where we were attending when my first baby was blessed.  Our years in the Spanish branch we met in the other two buildings, the Hinckley chapel and the Moapa chapel, or as Jara fondly calls it "the blue church."  I feel connected to them all.  They each have their own little quirks.  The Overton chapel has a dungeon and an upstairs roasting classroom. The Logandale chapel was ginormous and had a smelly scout house, I miss its grandeur and hand made bricks.  The stake center, dedicated when I was 13, has my favorite color scheme, there is something soothing about mauve.  The Moapa chapel has a blue roof.  No matter the differences or the people they have all felt like home.  The way it should feel in God's house.
I used to make fun of citizens who proclaimed the "spirit of the valley" but I am just as sentimental and sappy as the best of em' nowadays.  I'm glad my children are growing up in a safe place, a place where I still lock my door at night but don't feel scared to go for walks with all three kids in tow.  

Happy 100 Logandale.



No comments: