Three is a year of highs and lows, still a little one, becoming a big one. I often think of Jack and Jara being the same age. Jack does whatever Jara does. If Jara gains new independence or does something for the first time Jack is right behind her. Many privileges Jack enjoys would never have been given to Jara at three, but he isn't coddled as much either. The joy and curse of being the second child, I suppose.
Jack's 3 Year Milestones
-Preschool: this kid is going to be a champ at preschool, he'll have gone for 3 years before he actually goes to kindergarten. He needs an outlet. He is very social and does not like playing alone. Jara being gone half a day is torture.
-Lots o' learning: he went from knowing a few letters of the alphabet to knowing all letters, most sounds and reading sight words. He likes to learn and is easy to teach. He has a great attention span for learning. (It's his birthday I get to brag.)
-Farewell to napping
-Water Skiing-took to it like a champ the first time, the next time he panicked. Half way through the summer he developed fear. Fear of movies, fear of Disneyland, fear of his room, fear of the dark, fear of everything. I know from prior experience this will gradually abate in the fourth year, so until then you won't see Jack jumping off of the roof or going to the Pioneer Theater without me.
-His first primary program, Jack joined with the other Sunbeams to sing a very stirring rendition of "The Wise Man and the Foolish man" complete with wiggly sand fingers. Half-way through the program he got a little nervous and his teacher held him up to see us and then he was okay. It was so sad, I could see him getting increasingly stressed by the minute. He gets a little shy at times. Jed had to hold me back from snatching him off the stage and promising him a puppy.
-Riding his own 4-wheeler, fear doesn't apply here. He has always loved being on the 4-wheeler, now he can do it on his own. He rides responsibly. I'm still amazed to watch him brake (he is Jed's son after all) and apply gas at the correct time. And yes, he has a helmet. And yes, his 4-wheeler has a kill switch and can only go a certain slow speed.
-Chores-he is an awesome laundry man. He can fold his underwear into a mean "burrito" and is a pro at washcloths/ towels. He straightens and then folds corner to corner. I don't even do that! He also picks up toys.
-He loves to read and will often sit on the couch in the dining room, while I am cleaning up the kitchen, looking at books for an hour at a time. I will hear him "reading" sometimes and sometimes he will just look.
-His vocabulary is expanding and he quit referring to himself as me in January. I miss "me." The other day he asked me if the "customers in lin's would appreciate him picking up his trash" and he often refers to Elise as "a menace to society." I don't know where he learned that one.
-His persistence is also expanding and if he doesn't get what he wants he will constantly wear you down until you are ready to give him a king size snickers bar and a 40oz juice box just to keep him quiet and keep yourself from running in front of a bus.
-He calls me "mama" it melts my heart.
-He still likes to cuddle.
-He wakes up with the birds and first things first, peeks in on me. If I play dead he will leave me in peace for a little longer.
-He describes his bm's "snakes" "scraggly" "ball" "angry" just a few of the more memorable/consistent names. ewww
-He likes to use Jed's "man soap" in the shower and then show me how big and clean his muscles are.
-He can remember and tell me specific dreams, it seems as if he is also going to be genetically prone to creating blockbusters in his sleep.
My favorite thing about Jack is the fact that he is an easy-going, not overly dramatic, lovvee pet. Easy-peasy.
Happy Birthday Jack!
FOURward on!
Baby Jack
1 comment:
Boys are so much easier and laid back than girls!!
Post a Comment