Monday, March 5, 2012

St. Thomas Alive

This weekend we were able to do more than hike among the ruins of St. Thomas we were able to learn about the pioneers and history of the area, authentically, thanks to the valley youth conference, 100-year celebration of the stake.

The youth hiked a total of 19 miles dragging these puppies, no not Jack, the handcarts in the background. (I'm glad I only had a Jack to drag.)






Families of the area set up booths where you could learn about the founding fathers of St. Thomas and the development of the community. It just so happens my great-grandmother was the most popular/prettiest women in all of Clark County when the railroad came to St. Thomas thus she was chosen to drive in the copper railroad spike. The very spike I am holding in this picture. I have held the legendary copper spike, I can die a happy woman.





Jara standing next to the picture of great-grandma driving in the spike.





Jed and his pioneer mama, the woman who ran the dramatic productions/re-creations of the area, great job Kathy! Not only was a play or two produced but various women/men spoke of their ancestors and other entertainment was provided non-stop from 10-3:00








Rodney and Elise's first hand holding. This is approved until they can walk. You got 6-9 more months little monkeys.





My baby in her sun bonnet. She is a good little baby, we take her on all kinds of adventures and she is so nicely behaved. (and of course, since I mentioned it she will now do everything in her power to prove me wrong-but let's hope...)








One of the tallest ruins which I believe was either a pool hall or a garage. Very fascinating to a 3-year-old boy.





Plotting against their wife's.



Nothing like a baby strapped to your chest to make ya manly. I owe him big time but the little beast weighs a million pounds in that thing and my back just can't take it anymore.




PS-In case you didn't know, the town of St. Thomas was covered by Lake Mead after the creation of Hoover dam in the thirties. In 1999 I was wakeboarding over St. Thomas but since the lake has dried up, the town ruins have been exposed once again.

No comments: