Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And 1

My birthday came and went.  Last year I was so philosphical and optimistic.  After the last three years of dreading my end of twenty birthdays it was relieving to just get the big 3-0 over.  However, now that I am 30-something I'm feeling the full effect.  When my sister told everyone at zumba how old I was I thought, "me, I'm that number, I'm that lady, goodness I really am a ma'am."  (Blast that Maverik shop boy.)  So now what?  I'll tell you what, things are creeping up and all in the last couple weeks since that magical number.
#1 I'm losing my memory: I'm surprised I can remember to tell you, it's that bad.  I'm forgetting events and not just forgetting but completly blanking out and then in shock when someone has to TELL me I forgot my brother-in-laws bday party or that my gas tank is on the right side and has been for 3 months. Every time I pull up to get gas I have to cancel the initial transaction.
#2 My nose is showing signs of age.  I can't talk about it.  Every year around my birthday I buy my yearly allotment of makeup.  Coincidence?  I think not.
#3 I have two little age spots on my legs creeping up and all those years of scoffing at support hosiery are showing the results too.
#4 I bought myself hand-weights for my birthday 3 pounders, yeah I'm so buff  and my friends are getting me tupperware and I luvv it.  Jed gave me Amazon Prime so I can watch Downton Abbey on Friday nights to my little hearts content.  Wild, thats me.
#5  I have developed a true phobia.  Chiroptophobia-fear of bats.  I've always disliked the leathery-winged, beady-eyed little creatures but my dislike has escalated into a true phobia.  Even now writing about it is sending shivers up my spine.  The little blood-suckers had me in a cold-sweat, hiding behind two umbrellas crying for mercy.  I am a big girl.  I am 31.  Bats do not need to send me into a tizzy.


Anyway-

On the positive side it was a wonderful week.  I don't celebrate my birthday in one day, it takes up the week.  I play that card as long as I can, "but Jed it's my birthday week..." Saturday Jed treated me to a day on the town with only two of the little darlin's and  my birthday slice of cake was purchased, all seven chocolatey layers of it.  I needed a layer for every day of my birthday week.  Sunday we celebrated the original Mrs. Wheeler's bday.  Tuesday my  sister-in-law (also a Mrs. Wheeler) why am I rambling like this, let me crash her pool with kids in tow.  We sipped margaritas (non-alcoholic because I know you were wondering) and watched the kids happily splash.  Wednesday, the actual day of glory, I had a little luncheon with my mom and sister.  We thought about going out for lunch but the thought of 5 kids in a restaurant is too much work on one's birthday.  Jed came home at noon and we escaped to the lake.  There is never lack of water fun on your birthday when it is 115* outside.  I even wake-boarded in the wind (sounds so poetical doesn't it?) However, when you have to give up because the wave bumps are hurting your old lady ankles  it serves as an another cruel reminder of old age.  Thursday was the happy birthday zumba night.  Ashley dedicates her "i am good" at zumba moves to me, a special present in and of itself. Friday was girls night at the Heff (hugh)grotto, turned bat cave.  It's really a waterfall in the pool with an awesome cave, Ashley dubbed it the "Heff grotto" because well couldn't you see the old geezer chillin' in his pool cave behind a waterfall?  Anyway, Wendy (of the pool and margaritas) was kind enough to host and as we all sat by the cooling water and reminisced about our domestic endeavors and the new pockets we were going to sew on our linens.  Sounds so innocent, it's not really.  I was working myself into a fit over the bats.  My friends were kind enough to suggest porch sitting and pretended like it wasn't a million degrees and they were comfy just so I wouldn't pass out from fear of those rabie-inducing little beasties.  True friends.  Katie even drove out from 'Vegas and brought me dreamy guilt-free cake.  Thank you all.   Minus the bats I think we should pool party every week, okay maybe every month.

Happy Birthday to ME!

And if none of this makes sense to you
1)you don't know me well
2)i am writing one big run-on-mind-wandering-sentence
or
3)old age has set in and i am officially crazy

A little beach photo of my birthday party with Jed and the kids.

3 comments:

Bowler Family said...

Glad it was such a bluebird day!! And it's true, "we are good at ZUUMMMBBBAAAA!!!"

Vyanca said...

I feel your pain of aging. But it's way better then the look you get when your fourth grader tells his teacher you are 22!! Sympathy/ shock and the question of how you have a ten year old....

BrandieH said...

Wait til it takes an hour every morning for your upper chest/neck area to unwrinkle from your evening's sleep. I'll be 37 next week, so that's only 6 years away for you my friend. ;-)