Monday, April 29, 2013

The House Mouse

You know how I feel about bats?  Well it doesn't get any better when it comes to mice.  Nothing makes my blood run cold faster than the sight of mouse poops.  Or the sound of bags rustling in my pantry when no one is awake but ME!  The first night I heard the sneaky little vermin in my pantry Jed was at basketball.  When he got home I was on a kitchen stool with the broom, marooned all alone in the middle of a sea of linoleum,  paralyzed with fear.  We explored.  Found the tell all signs of a mouse, and took appropriate measures-I called my pop-the man with a pest control company.  He gave me the most effective mouse trap I have ever had the courtesy to  lay eyes on. I made Jed coat that bad boy in peanut butter and I waited.  Next morning the deed was done.  After Jed had gone to work.  Oh yes, that was fun.  I had to strap on a pair 
of gloves (yeah and those other things too) and dispose.  I still shiver.  I also felt like I had put a hit out on Mrs. Frisby.  Tell me you read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH and made up your own sequels too.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, my neighbor's house is being invaded by a mouse and I start to think my problem has gone away.  Only to hear another intruder, the next night.  I lay my trap.  I wait.  I can't sleep.  I become irrational and start to consider rubbing down our room with garlic and hanging crosses complete with a shrine to the Virgin Mary (just as an extra precaution) but Jed reminds me this will only keep away vampires.  I tell him mice will bite you and suck your blood so really, they are about as real as it gets when it comes to vampires.  He talks me down, for about a second.  Next I tell him I am going to buy four cats and tie one to each of my bed posts.  Jed tells me I am not an Egyptian pharaoh.  He really puts a damper on things.  

Wish me luck, the war is still raging.  Wish Jed luck, I might go crazy.  

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Holy crap.....this was awesome.....
And who says you're not Pharoah?

Brandie said...

I think you have super powers - based solely on your ability to set that trap, crawl in my scary, empty bath tub hole barefoot and lay in wait. I say we perform whatever mouse exorcisms necessary in both our homes to rid ourselves of their evil.