Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Thoughts on 30

Well, the big day came and went and now it is official...

I'm OLD!

Of course I have always loved lists so here is the good and bad of 30.
*Disclaimer-I have been having some serious grammatical issues lately, I said "that there" to my sister and I think she blinked her eyes for a whole 5 seconds before mocking my newly found southern dialect. I don't know what is happening to me-talking to a 2yr old all day or the baby sucking the life out of my brain. Anyway, I'm just sayin, if it doesn't get better I'll enroll in English 101 again but until then, bear with me, I don't even know I'm doing it. sorry.

THE GOOD




  • I am a better person, this may be debatable but recently I read through one of my old journals, the voice and thoughts of my 20-year-old self was frankly quite frightening. I don't think parts of my brain were fully developed, I may have had grammar down but my "deep" thoughts were prime fodder for open mockery between Jed and I. It was like reading a really bad version of Sweet Valley High mixed with long descriptive paragraphs straight out of Anne of Green Gables, then throw in a little Bible. eeesh Although maybe when I'm 40 I'll read this and think the same thing.



  • I can do many more things. I feel more balanced. Shhh don't tell anyone, but I'm practically domesticated and revel in it. I cook. My favorite blogs have to do with food. I clean. I confess, I subscribe to Good Housekeeping just to see what my girl Heloise is up to. I like to vacuum! I enter craft fairs. 20-year-old Joshlyn would have died in horror and then burned the sewing machine, in a fiery flame of splendor.


  • I exercise and like it! (Still can't swim, but that just gives me a graceful pardon from triathlons)



  • I am more patient. I know, hard to believe but children help cure you of impatience and selfishness, you never realize how selfish you are until you have a child. Then you run back to your mommy and tell her "I'm sorry for every moment of my meaningless life." Having children is good, you're not the most important one anymore. I am still fairly impatient but I must say I've made a little progress. I almost never yell at people in checkout lines/counters anymore.



  • I have children. Okay that sounds like I have a disease but I wouldn't trade them for anything. They give you a different perspective, they teach you about love, and they are completely infuriating due to the fact that they are JUST LIKE YOU! However, no matter what kind of day we have, thanks to Annie and her sage wisdom, when I peek in on them asleep, I love them fiercely and know I wouldn't change a thing. Jack calls me princess mommy. Its hard not to feel special with that kind of lovin'.



  • I have a husband who completes me. I know he truly loves me because he never would have fed my cats this weekend if not.



  • I am much happier than I used to be, most days. Days when I don't almost burn down the house with the toaster, a story for another day.



The BAD



  • My cool points have severely gone down. I don't go to concerts, jump off things or use a tanning bed anymore. I may even be approaching mini-van status . I worry about safety and don't play in lightning storms, you can find me in the closest thank you. My sense of adventure is strictly limited to finding my way in the dark amongst the rubble of my living room to turn down the thermostat.



  • I have more fears. I can't tell you or I would jinx myself.



  • I do not have, nor will I ever have, the body of my twenty-year-old self again. Some things may be fixed, but some things will NEVER be the same after children, time and gravity. Curse the 3 mirrors in my bathroom who humbly remind me of this every day.


  • Yeah, I like cleaning.


I've made my peace with 30, may you if you are younger, and if you are older try not to mock me too openly.


Here's to 10 good years before my knees start sagging. Because, lets face it, 40 is nothing to joke about.

7 comments:

ShEiLa said...

YOU my dear Joshlyn are NOT old... at all wait til 40 to even think the word.

Remember the saying...
YOU are only as OLD as you FEEL!(don't tell me that you feel old)

ToOdLeS.

Bowler Family said...

I am truly sorry I mocked your grammar skills!! Because mom has picked them up and today I was stuttering and had some kind of crazy lisp!! I don't know what has happened to us!!
Don't talk about the saggy knees, you know they scare me....

my name is becky kelly said...

i love it! I just had my 28th birthday a few weeks ago and am feeling pretty good about it. thanks for the list! you make me wish i was a better journaler.

T Rex Mom said...

This was beautifully stated. I do hope no one has been giving you a hard time about your age. Especially anyone that might be a sibling of mine. Because you can remind him his youngest sister is 15 years younger which makes him really old compared to me.

I really like how positive you are, Joshlyn. Even in stating you are old and mention some of the not-so-pleasant things that come with aging, you still have a very positive aspect to your writing. And this I really appreciate and enjoy.

And being around young children all day takes a huge hit to one's speaking abilities. I know from experience.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday and enjoy many, many more - even if your knees do start to sag someday.

Annie Leavitt said...

i love that you read your old journal! and i love that i'm not the only one who has to see my kids asleep to remember i like them : )

great list my dear.

you make 30 look so good, i think i'll try it out soon. he he he

Lisa said...

Joshlyn you make me smile! I have to say that as I near 40, there are many more reasons for a sense of humor! My 30's have been my best years. It seems in the 30's I really knew who I was, felt good in my skin and didn't care so much about what other people thought and my marriage felt more settled. You are entering some really great years!
Also, minivans rock.
Happy Birthday!

Whitney Baldwin said...

I loved this. What a lovely list. And I am terrified to read my old journal. Terrified.

I have to admit that this gave me some anxiety that I need to somehow learn to be a better person in the next year and a half. Because if evil Joshlyn can do it... :)