I've alluded to the fact that in my previous life, the life I had before marriage and children, I was known to get on my feminist soap box, bra-burning benders. However, that Joshlyn seems light years away buried under cookbooks, cleaning supplies and poopy diapers. I have learned to calm myself and realize you can be a gracious woman without being a subservient doormat. I cook, clean and happily stay at home with my children because I WANT to, although heaven help us some day's when everyone is crying and I'm up to my elbows in some sort of bodily fluid I question why. Every now and then I will feel a little nostalgic for my younger persona but am proud of the homemaker me all at the same time. That being said, there are still core concepts that I won't let go. For example...
Jed doesn't get a free pass on the dishes (or any other domestic chore) because he's a man.
And
My opinion should not be underrated or dismissed because I am a woman.
Now,
should you feel inclined to pity Jed for being married to a ball-busting (did I just say that?)she-woman,
Don't. Last week he went to use the vacuum I've had for two years and didn't know how to turn it on. Besides, like I always remind him, "he knew perfectly well what he was getting in to it."
Plus, I can't make Jed do anything he doesn't want to, try as I might. Which is why we still have that hideous blue cookie monster chair, which is another story in and of itself. I'm getting off track. Anyway...
What I'm leading up to, is the fact that a fellow "good-reader" left me a snarky comment based on my Lonesome Dove review. I knew I was setting myself up for it when I left a scathing 1 star review on a 4.something average rated, Pulitzer-prize winning book. This is not my first show-down with unhappy male reviewers. However, this IS the first time one has said (and I quote) "...you feminist man-hater."
Why does this bring me such unconstrained glee? Here I was feeling all depressed today that I was turning into a whiny, pathetic little housewife, after I complained to Jed for the 100th time about the insurmountable pile of laundry, and then that dear golden nugget of criticism reminds me that, yes folks, even after all of these years...I've still got it.

No comments:
Post a Comment