I deliver, I promise, just not in any particular order. See previous post if you are confused.
Naming my children is a difficult decision for me. For three reasons, #1)I am indecisive #2)I worry about the effect it will have on their life, what's cute at birth is not cute at 75. #3)I want it to have meaning, either to myself or in general. Here's the what and why of each one of em'...
Jara-

My eldest daughter's name is derived from an old English...okay not really, I'm not that technical. When I was going to college I met a wonderful girl named Jara, she was nothing that would make you ashamed to name your first born child after, and the name always stuck with me. I liked that it was unique, started with a J, and was a cousin to the name Sara which I have always loved. (In case you are confused about the pronunciation it rhymes with Sara.) People often mistakenly call her Jar/uh. Bleh. I'm not that cruel. Her middle name is after me, Lyn, (yes only one "n" same as her momma) I'm a little egocentric that way. Plus it flows nicely.
Jack-

The summer I was pregnant with Jack I read three or four of my favoritest books ever. Every single book had a "Jack." A strapping, handsome, noble, fearless Jack. (If you have read "These is My Words" you know what kind-of a Jack I am talking about, I am convinced Captain Jack Elliot was a real man.) I deemed it as a sign. Jed wanted a strong name for our son, "no panty-waist, trendy name." The only catch with this name is well...you know. Let's just say I better never hear you taking my son's name in vain. Jack's middle name is J. a non-committal "J" that way Jed can say it is for him and I can tell whoever has a "J" name "it's for you." But yeah, it really is for Jed, he just isn't as egotistical as me.
Elise-

The single other letter name in our family of J's. I couldn't do it. Not one of the names I liked for her started with a J. I couldn't pick a name I only kind-a liked based on the premise that it had to start with a certain letter. I feel very strongly about each of my children's names I agonize and ponder over them, birth certificates being filled out at the last possible moment of my 2 night/2.5 day c-section stay-overs. There is no way I could name my precious daughter a name I only kinda liked because it had to have a "J." Besides I gave her a middle name with a J, just in case. Now for the reasoning behind "Elise." When Jara was born I wanted to name her Jara or Elizabeth, which happens to be my great-grandmother's middle name, my husband with his abhorrence of long names discouraged Elizabeth. Well when we found out we were having another girl, I knew it was meant to be. However, in 5 years Elizabeth hadn't become any shorter of a name. Hence...Elise Jayne. Now to explain the middle name. No, I wasn't just trying to fancy up Jane. Jay is a fifth-generation name in Jed's paternal line. Jayne is my own feminine spin on it.
There you have it. It's all in the name.
3 comments:
Miss Joshlyn... you have some adorable children and I love the names you picked.
Miss Jara is soooo darn cute!!!!
ToOdLeS.
Cute! I like this post...It's fun to hear where names come from.
I love your name stories. I'm glad they have meaning and are easy to spell and you call them by their first names (believe me, it's sometimes a pain to go by a middle name). My best friend is Jera so I love that name! So glad you are such a wonderful mom! Oh, and Jed, he's a good guy too.
Post a Comment